Judge recuses from hearing Palmolein import case
Thiruvananthapuram: The vigilance court
judge, who had ordered investigation into the role of Chief
Minister Oommen Chandy in the 1992 Palmolein import case,
on Saturday recused himself from the case, saying there was "some
personal attack" against him through the media for passing the
order last month.
Announcing his decision while taking up the case suo
Special Judge P K Haneefa said he had passed an order in the
case on August 8 with "clear judicious consciousness and due
"But, unfortunately there was some personal attack
against me through the media. So, I do not think, it is fair on
my part to continue to hear the case further," Haneefa said.
Haneefa said he had also requested the Kerala High court
to take necessary steps to transfer the case to other courts,
The case would stand posted to November 10, he said. The
court had suo motu advanced the case for today.
Meanwhile, Chandy told reporters at Kochi that no one had
said anything against the judge. "I have openly said earlier
also that I have no complaint against the judge," he said.
Haneefa had on August 8 ordered a probe against Chandy,
who was the Finance Minister when the deal was signed, after
rejecting the report filed by investigators three months ago
that there was no ground for any further investigation in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?