Judge recuses from hearing Palmolein import case
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Saturday, September 24, 2011, 14:25
  
Thiruvananthapuram: The vigilance court judge, who had ordered investigation into the role of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy in the 1992 Palmolein import case, on Saturday recused himself from the case, saying there was "some personal attack" against him through the media for passing the order last month.

Announcing his decision while taking up the case suo motu, Special Judge P K Haneefa said he had passed an order in the case on August 8 with "clear judicious consciousness and due procedure demanded."

"But, unfortunately there was some personal attack against me through the media. So, I do not think, it is fair on my part to continue to hear the case further," Haneefa said.

Haneefa said he had also requested the Kerala High court to take necessary steps to transfer the case to other courts,

The case would stand posted to November 10, he said. The court had suo motu advanced the case for today.

Meanwhile, Chandy told reporters at Kochi that no one had said anything against the judge. "I have openly said earlier also that I have no complaint against the judge," he said.

Haneefa had on August 8 ordered a probe against Chandy, who was the Finance Minister when the deal was signed, after rejecting the report filed by investigators three months ago that there was no ground for any further investigation in the case.

PTI


First Published: Saturday, September 24, 2011, 14:25


comments powered by Disqus