Karunakaran death: Case against CVC may weaken
Thiruvananthapuram: With the death of former
Kerala Chief Minister K Karunakaran, his name would cease to
be on the list of accused in the palmolein import case in
which Central Vigilance Commissioner P J Thomas figures as the
According to legal circles, Karunakaran`s death would not
come in the way of the case continuing in the Vigilance Court
here. However, the case might get weakened, they said.
The case would not be quashed in the wake of death of the
first accused--Karunakaran, legal experts said.
The case was posted for further hearing to January 12
when the court had taken it up on December 17.
The case relates to loss to the tune of Rs 2.32 core
allegedly caused to the exchequer by import of palmolein oil
in 1991-92 when Karunarakan was the chief minister and P J
Thomas the Food Secretary and a member of the Board of the
Kerala State Civil Supplies Corporation.
The court postponed the case in view of the Supreme
Court`s interim stay on further proceedings by the lower court
based on an appeal filed by Karunakaran in 2007 .
Thomas figures as the eighth accused in the chargesheet
filed by the Vigilance and Anti-corruption Bureau in 2003.
According to the chargesheet, filed under the Prevention of
Corruption Act and the Indian Penel Code, the accused caused
the exchequer a loss of Rs 2.32 crore by importing palmolein
through a Singapore-based firm at exorbitant rates.
The Supreme Court, through an interim order in 2007, had
stayed further proceedings in the lower court while
considering a petition filed by Karunakaran.
Earlier this month, the Kerala government moved the apex
court for vacating the stay for the trial pending in the lower
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly