Kerala AG tells court he was `attacked` by media
Kochi: Kerala Advocate General KP Dhandapani,
at the centre of a controversy over submissions on
the Mullaperiyar issue, on Tuesday informed the state High Court he
was `harassed` and `attacked` by the media which conducted a
trial against him, prompting the court to say it was
He made the submission when he appeared before the division
bench, comprising Acting Chief Justice Manjula Chellur and
Justice PR Ramachandra Menon on a batch of petitions
expressing concern of safety of the 116-year-old Mullaperiyar
dam over which Kerala and Tamil Nadu are locked in dispute.
The Government had virtually denounced the AG for making
statements in Court which allegedly contradicted the state`s
stand on the issue.
As today`s arguments came to a close, the AG told the court
that he had something to say.
A visibly upset Dhandapani said he was harassed and
attacked by the media,which conducted a trial against him
The bench said it was `unfortunate` and `we are sorry for
The court said it was not expressing any comments on the
media reports, but told Dhandapani that ` you were responding
to the questions raised by the court`.
Dhandpani had come under attack from opposition LDF and
ruling UDF for his statements in court, though he maintained
his words were misinterpreted by a section of the media as he
had not said anything to contradict the state`s case.
While making statements in court on Dec 2 on the safety
measures being taken by Kerala in the event of the dam`s
collapse, Dhandapani had purportedly said three downstream
dams of Idukki, Kulavamuvu and Cheruthoni could hold waters of
He had met Chief Minister Oommen Chandy at his residence at
Kottayam on December 4 and said that his statements in court
was solely based on information as well as records given by
the Revenue Department and Additional Chief Secretary.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested