Kerala Assembly adjourned over solar scam
Thiruvananthapuram: Targeting Chief Minister Oommen Chandy over the solar scam, the LDF opposition on Tuesday continued their protest in the Kerala Assembly for the second consecutive day, forcing the House to be adjourned minutes after the sitting began.
Showing placards and waving banners demanding resignation of Chandy, the LDF members rushed to the Well of the House shouting slogans the moment the day`s proceedings commenced.
Speaker G Karthikeyan first suspended Question Hour and Zero Hour but soon adjourned the House for the day after rushing through the business on the agenda as an unrelenting opposition declined to be pacified.
Chandy had yesterday rejected the demand for his resignation and charged the LDF with creating a "smokescreen" to score political mileage after a series of agitations unleashed by them against the UDF government failed to click.
The LDF members also protested alleged police excesses during the marches taken out in different parts of the state by their feeder outfits on Monday.
The scam pertains to alleged fraudulent deals running into crores of rupees indulged in by a firm run by one Saritha Nair and her friend Biju Radhakrishnan by duping clients for solar panel installation schemes.
Biju, who had been absconding for long, was arrested from Coimbatore yesterday while Saritha has already been already under judicial remand.
The case assumed a political dimension after it was revealed that two personal staff members in the Chief Minister`s Office had allegedly made frequent calls to Saritha Nair.
The two staff members were removed from the CM`s office last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015