Kerala Assembly adjourns over solar scam issue
Thiruvananthapuram: Targeting Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, CPI(M)-led Left Democratic Front opposition in Kerala on Tuesday disrupted assembly proceedings demanding his resignation over solar scam issue, leading to the adjournment of the House.
However, Chandy asserted that the Opposition charge was part of a political conspiracy.
The Opposition took up the scam issue, rocking the state for the past two weeks, through an adjournment motion notice on the police lathicharge on agitating Left youth organisation activists yesterday.
Seeking notice for the motion, CPI leader C Divakaran reiterated the demand for Chandy`s resignation, especially in the light of the statement of Sreedharan Nair, the complainant in the solar panel case that he had met Chandy to discuss the solar project along with Saritha Nair, one of the accused in the scam.
Sreedharan had stated in Malayalam TV channels yesterday that he had met Chandy on July 9 last year and discussed the project when Saritha was present.
Rejecting the statement of Sreedharan Nair, the Chief Minister stuck to his reply in the assembly yesterday that he had met the complainant as a representative of quarry owners` association and had not discussed anything on solar panel project.
Chandy also maintained that he had not met Saritha Nair. The ruling United Democratic Front was united on the issue to fight the challenge raised by Opposition and would not succumb to political conspiracy.
Opposition Leaders rushed to the well of the House, expressing dissatisfaction with the reply of Chief Minister. As the protests continued, Speaker G Karthikeyan adjourned the House.
Following Sreedharan Nair`s remarks yesterday, UDF leaders had met Chandy at his official residence last night and expressed the Front`s support to the UDF.
The solar scam pertains to cheating several persons by crores of Rupees by Saritha Nair and her accomplice Biju Radhakrishnan by offering solar panel solutions.
It took a serious political turn with the arrest of one of Chandy`s close personal aides, who has alleged links with the accused. Two other employees in his personal staff have also been removed in connection with the scam.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city