Kerala Assembly adjourns over solar scam issue
Thiruvananthapuram: Targeting Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, CPI(M)-led Left Democratic Front opposition in Kerala on Tuesday disrupted assembly proceedings demanding his resignation over solar scam issue, leading to the adjournment of the House.
However, Chandy asserted that the Opposition charge was part of a political conspiracy.
The Opposition took up the scam issue, rocking the state for the past two weeks, through an adjournment motion notice on the police lathicharge on agitating Left youth organisation activists yesterday.
Seeking notice for the motion, CPI leader C Divakaran reiterated the demand for Chandy`s resignation, especially in the light of the statement of Sreedharan Nair, the complainant in the solar panel case that he had met Chandy to discuss the solar project along with Saritha Nair, one of the accused in the scam.
Sreedharan had stated in Malayalam TV channels yesterday that he had met Chandy on July 9 last year and discussed the project when Saritha was present.
Rejecting the statement of Sreedharan Nair, the Chief Minister stuck to his reply in the assembly yesterday that he had met the complainant as a representative of quarry owners` association and had not discussed anything on solar panel project.
Chandy also maintained that he had not met Saritha Nair. The ruling United Democratic Front was united on the issue to fight the challenge raised by Opposition and would not succumb to political conspiracy.
Opposition Leaders rushed to the well of the House, expressing dissatisfaction with the reply of Chief Minister. As the protests continued, Speaker G Karthikeyan adjourned the House.
Following Sreedharan Nair`s remarks yesterday, UDF leaders had met Chandy at his official residence last night and expressed the Front`s support to the UDF.
The solar scam pertains to cheating several persons by crores of Rupees by Saritha Nair and her accomplice Biju Radhakrishnan by offering solar panel solutions.
It took a serious political turn with the arrest of one of Chandy`s close personal aides, who has alleged links with the accused. Two other employees in his personal staff have also been removed in connection with the scam.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India