Kerala Assembly begins with opposition walkout
Thiruvananthapuram: The first session of the newly-elected Kerala Assembly began on a stormy note on Monday, with the opposition Left walking out after the Speaker disallowed their demand for a discussion on the recent hike in fuel prices.
Seeking leave for an adjournment motion, Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) legislator and former state finance minister Thomas Issac said the latest hikes in prices of diesel, kerosene and cooking gas were a cruel blow to the people.
"Had the Centre taken cognisance of the huge corruption in the 2G scam, S-band and other corruption cases, that money could have been used to settle the so-called deficit of Rs 1.22 lakh crore of the various oil companies," Issac said.
Replying to the opposition charges, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said his government sympathised with the people of the state.
"We have decided to forgo the tax portion that the state government would have got on account of the increased price of Rs 3 per litre of diesel. As a result, diesel will now cost Rs 0.75 less," said Chandy.
Former chief minister and Leader of Opposition VS Achuthanandan, before leading the entire opposition out of the House, said Chandy`s explanations will not ease the people`s woes.
The Central government Friday (June 24) announced a hike in the price of diesel by Rs 3 per litre, kerosene by Rs 2 a litre and cooking gas by Rs 50 per cylinder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared