Kerala Assembly pays homage to TM Jacob
Thiruvananthapuram: Cutting across party lines, the Kerala assembly paid tributes for the third day Tuesday to TM Jacob, the state civil supplies minister who died Sunday.
Jacob, 61, was buried Tuesday at his home parish near Piravom in Ernakulam district. Jacob, who led the Kerala Congress-Jacob and was its sole legislator, was ailing for some time and was in and out of hospital since he became a minister inMay.
"His (Jacob`s) commitment to his work and the manner in which he worked was unique to him alone," said Speaker G. Karthikeyan.
As state education minister (1982-87), Jacob saw several new initiatives being commissioned, Karthikeyan added.
Jacob was a member of the assembly from 1997 till 2006.
Defeated in 2006 assembly polls, he returned in the 2011 elections.
"The way he carried himself as a minister and his work speaks everything about him," recalled Chief Minister Oommen Chandy.
"He started off as a student leader and went on to become an efficient and effective politician and his absence would be felt," said Leader of Opposition VS Achuthanandan.
"He was a workaholic and the biggest beneficiary was the state on account of the policies that he brought out," said state Industries Minister PK Kunhalikutty.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand