Kerala Assembly Speaker expects more sittings
Thiruvananthapuram: With the Kerala Assembly witnessing its lowest ever sittings last year, Speaker G Karthikeyan Friday expressed hope that the next session, starting Monday, would have more sittings as all parties agreed to cooperate.
In 2013, the state Assembly met for only 37 days, the lowest ever. The highest was recorded in 1960, when 94 days of sittings were held.
"The new session begins Monday and will end July 17. This time there would be 28 days of sittings," Karthikeyan told reporters here.
"At an all-party meeting held June 4, all the party leaders have promised to cooperate and have realised that the number of sittings has to go up. We all expect to see that this time it happens," said Karthikeyan.
He said Leader of Opposition VS Achuthanandan would initiate a discussion on the Supreme Court`s May 7 verdict on the Mullaperiyar dam which allowed Tamil Nadu to increase water level from 136 feet to 142 feet.
The new session will also see the strength of the state government go up by two as two MLAs from the Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP), an ally of the Left Front for the past three decades, moved to the Congress-led United Democratic Front just before the Lok Sabha polls.
"The RSP, led by AA Azeez, has given a letter and they will now be seated on the treasury benches," said Karthikeyan.
With this, the Oommen Chandy government will have support of 75 MLAs in the 140-member Assembly.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video