Kerala Assembly Speaker expects more sittings
Thiruvananthapuram: With the Kerala Assembly witnessing its lowest ever sittings last year, Speaker G Karthikeyan Friday expressed hope that the next session, starting Monday, would have more sittings as all parties agreed to cooperate.
In 2013, the state Assembly met for only 37 days, the lowest ever. The highest was recorded in 1960, when 94 days of sittings were held.
"The new session begins Monday and will end July 17. This time there would be 28 days of sittings," Karthikeyan told reporters here.
"At an all-party meeting held June 4, all the party leaders have promised to cooperate and have realised that the number of sittings has to go up. We all expect to see that this time it happens," said Karthikeyan.
He said Leader of Opposition VS Achuthanandan would initiate a discussion on the Supreme Court`s May 7 verdict on the Mullaperiyar dam which allowed Tamil Nadu to increase water level from 136 feet to 142 feet.
The new session will also see the strength of the state government go up by two as two MLAs from the Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP), an ally of the Left Front for the past three decades, moved to the Congress-led United Democratic Front just before the Lok Sabha polls.
"The RSP, led by AA Azeez, has given a letter and they will now be seated on the treasury benches," said Karthikeyan.
With this, the Oommen Chandy government will have support of 75 MLAs in the 140-member Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon