Kerala Assembly to install new jammer to block cell phones
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Speaker G Karthikeyan Friday said things have changed with the advent of 3G technology and mobiles were active inside the state assembly. So, an expert has been called to install a new jammer to prevent usage of mobiles in the house.
Soon after question hour, Karthikeyan made a statement that till the advent of 3G technology, the already installed jammer was preventing the usage of all mobiles on the floor of the house.
"With the advent of 3G technology, things have changed and mobiles are still active inside the house. But an expert is coming tomorrow with a new jammer and we expect that it will work," said the speaker.
Karthikeyan`s predecessor K Radhakrishnan, who was the speaker from 2006 to 2011, objected to the move and said there are reports that jammers can cause health hazards.
Former home minister and CPI-M politburo member Kodiyeri Balakrishnan said there is no need for such devices to be installed inside the house.
"We are all quite capable of behaving ourselves and without jammers, we can prevent the use of mobiles on the floor of the assembly through self-discipline," said Balakrishnan.
The speaker said: "How good it would have been, had all followed the principle of self-discipline on the floor of the assembly."
The present set of jammers was installed inside the assembly during early 2000 after the ring tones of the mobiles had caused embarrassment, as some legislators failed to switch off their cell phones inside the house during its proceedings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report