Kerala Assembly witness uproar over Ganesh Kumar issue
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala Assembly today witnessed uproarious scenes with the opposition LDF disrupting the proceedings demanding resignation of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy over former minister K B Ganesh Kumar`s resignation following charges of domestic violence.
The slogan shouting LDF members trooped into the well of the House accusing Chandy of shielding Kumar and not acting on the complaint by Yamini, the wife of the former minister.
As the opposition kept up the protest demanding that the submission of its leader V S Achuthanandan on the issue be taken up as the first item in the Zero Hour, Speaker G Karthikeyan asked the government to rush through the agenda and adjourned the House ahead of the day`s schedule for the second consecutive day.
Kumar, the lone member of Kerala Congress (B), a minor partner in the UDF, was forced to resign in the wake of his wife lodging a police complaint accusing him of subjecting her to domestic violence.
Police also registered separate FIRs yesterday against Kumar and Yamini on their respective complaints.
During the Question Hour itself, the LDF members had come
to the House wielding placards alleging that Chandy deceives Kumar`s wife, who was a victim of domestic violence by ignoring her complaint.
When the Zero Hour began, Achuthanandan stood up and asked the Speaker to consider his submission on the issue given this morning and withdraw the one he had given earlier on another topic.
Though the Speaker assured the Opposition Leader that his submission would be taken up as soon as the calling attention was over, opposition members insisted that the Kumar issue should be taken up straightaway.
At this juncture, Chandy stood up and said he was ready to reply to the Opposition Leader`s submission, if necessary straightaway. The Speaker, however, said the Chief Minister could wait till the calling attention was over.
With the Speaker refusing to accept their demand, the opposition members started protesting vehemently forcing the proceedings to be adjourned.
When the House reassembled after 50 minutes, the opposition declined to yield to the renewed plea of the Speaker for allowing the calling attention to be taken up first.
The Speaker, however, stood firm by his decision that the submission would not be given precedence by skipping the calling attention as that went against the rules and precedents of the House.
Following this, the LDF members rushed close to the Speaker`s podium and shouted slogans demanding the Chief Minister`s resignation.
The Speaker then asked the treasury benches to rush through the remaining business of the day including the bills and adjourned the House on completing the items on the agenda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'