Kerala `blackmail sex scam` accused held in MLA hostel
Thiruvananthapuram: A 46-year-old man, wanted for allegedly blackmailing several persons, including politicians by pushing them into sex traps and making video recordings, has been arrested from the Kerala Legislators` Hostel.
Jayachandran had stayed in the MLA Hostel in the heart of the state capital in a room rented in the name of a former Congress MLA and had made his hideout for several days.
He was arrested last evening while trying to flee the police who went after him on getting information about his stay in the hostel.
Police went on a hot chase of the wanted after getting permission from Assembly Speaker G Karthikeyan, a release issued by the Speaker`s office said today.
An accused in what came to be known in local parlance as "blackmail sex scam", Jayachandran was member of a Kochi-based gang that had allegedly taken videos of several persons, including politicians and high profile businessmen, after pushing them into sex trap.
The gang used the clippings to extort huge sums of money from them. While other members of the racket were arrested over a week ago, Jayachandran was absconding.
Taking a serious note of the incident, Speaker G Karthikeyan said he would be convening a meeting of party leaders to tighten the norms on renting out spare rooms in the MLA hostel for former MLAs.
Meanwhile, youth outfits of the CPI(M) and BJP took out a march to the MLAs` hostel demanding a high-level inquiry into the incident.
Leader of the Opposition in the Assembly and CPI(M) stalwart V S Achuthandnan demanded a thorough inquiry and urged the authorities to ensure that the MLAs hostel was not turned into a haven for nefarious activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah