Kerala boat tragedy: KTDC MD questioned by police
Thiruvananthapuram: Police on Thursday questioned
Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC) Managing
Director K G Mohanlal and some other senior officials in
connection with the Thekkady boat tragedy that claimed 45
A Crime Branch team from Kottayam led by DySP Johnson
questioned Mohanlal and others at the KTDC headquarters here
to ascertain details of the alleged negligence on the part of
the technical evaluation committee which was responsible for
giving clearance to the boat "Jalakanyaka" for the lake
cruise, police sources said.
The probe by the special investigation team had found
that the boat did not have insurance cover for the tourists it
carried and required safety measures like life jackets.
It had also brought to light that the boat had a
rightward inclination which could be a major factor for it to
capsize in the lake on September 30.
The driver of the boat Victor Samuel, who is on bail now,
claimed at a press meet in Kochi that he had pointed out to
the KTDC officials about the tilt.
The officials ignored his warning and told him not to
bother about such matters as his job was to steer the boat, he
said alleging that he was being made a scapegoat.
All the six persons arrested in connection with the boat
tragedy and slapped with the charge of culpable homicide had
been granted bail by the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'