Kerala boat tragedy: KTDC MD questioned by police
Thiruvananthapuram: Police on Thursday questioned
Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC) Managing
Director K G Mohanlal and some other senior officials in
connection with the Thekkady boat tragedy that claimed 45
A Crime Branch team from Kottayam led by DySP Johnson
questioned Mohanlal and others at the KTDC headquarters here
to ascertain details of the alleged negligence on the part of
the technical evaluation committee which was responsible for
giving clearance to the boat "Jalakanyaka" for the lake
cruise, police sources said.
The probe by the special investigation team had found
that the boat did not have insurance cover for the tourists it
carried and required safety measures like life jackets.
It had also brought to light that the boat had a
rightward inclination which could be a major factor for it to
capsize in the lake on September 30.
The driver of the boat Victor Samuel, who is on bail now,
claimed at a press meet in Kochi that he had pointed out to
the KTDC officials about the tilt.
The officials ignored his warning and told him not to
bother about such matters as his job was to steer the boat, he
said alleging that he was being made a scapegoat.
All the six persons arrested in connection with the boat
tragedy and slapped with the charge of culpable homicide had
been granted bail by the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice