Kerala Budget Session ends on stormy note
Thiruvananthapuram: The 29-day budget session of Kerala Assembly ended on a stormy note today with CPI-M led LDF opposition disrupting proceedings, demanding a judicial probe into alleged irregularities in cancelling a contract with BSNL for constructing campus buildings for Kerala Veterinary Allied and Science University in Waynad.
As Opposition raised slogans and some squatted in the well of the house, Speaker G Karthikeyan rushed through the other business for the day and adjourned the house sine die.
Replying to notice for an adjournment motion on the issue by V S Sunilkumar (CPI), Agriculture Minister K P Mohan refuted Opposition charge of corruption behind cancelling the contract for the Rs 165 crore Central government sponsored project.
Mohan said the University had only signed an MoU with BSNL and not a contract. The MoU was cancelled as it was found it would not be proper to have BSNL prepare the estimate, implement the project and also put up the bill, he said.
Rejecting the Opposition demand for a judicial probe, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said they were creating a smokescreen out of nothing as no decision had been taken on the issue. "How can the government order a probe on something that has not happened?" Chandy asked.
He said government has not violated any guidelines of the Central Vigilance Commission on the matter, as alleged by the Opposition.
Opposition leader V S Achuthanandan said they would not compromise on the issue as it was related to corruption.
Sunil Kumar alleged that the University had cancelled the contract with an ulterior motive of handing over the project to certain private parties. He also said government in its revised tender notice had relaxed bidders` conditions.
The House passed two legislations, including the Kerala State Right to Service Bill 2014, envisaging delivery of public services within a stipulated time and also fix responsibility on officials in case of delay and fault.
Amid protest from Opposition members, the house also took up for consideration and passed the Kerala Appropriation Bill-2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in