Kerala Cabinet to be expanded today
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy will expand his Cabinet with the induction of 13 ministers here Monday.
Of the new ministers to be sworn-in today, nine belong to Congress including the lone woman Minister P K Jayalakshmi.
One MLA from Kerala Congress (M) will also be administered the oath of office and secrecy.
The names of Speaker, Deputy Speaker and Parliamentary Affairs Minister are likely to be announced by this evening.
Sixty-seven-year-old Chandy, elected for the 10th consecutive time from Puthupally in Kottayam District, assumed office as Kerala’s 21st chief minister on Wednesday.
He takes over from Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) stalwart V.S. Achuthanandan, who resigned as Chief Minister, last Saturday, following defeat in the Assembly polls.
In the Kerala assembly elections, the United Democratic Front (UDF) won by 72 seats, while the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M)-led Left Democratic Front (LDF) bagged 68 seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department
- UK PM Cameron says EU referendum turnout is greatest concern for 'In'
- US states sue White House over transgender bathroom use