Kerala celebrates X`mas with fervour
Thiruvananthapuram: Keralites on Sunday
celebrated Christmas with traditional fervour and piety
rejoicing the birth of Jesus Christ.
As church bells tolled signalling the moment of Nativity,
faithful congregated in large numbers for the Midnight Service
in cathedrals and churches of various Christian communities
where senior prelates and priests conducted the special mass
and gave out the Christmas message.
The state, where Christians accounts for nearly
one-fourth of the population, has been in the grip of festive
mood for the last several days.
Churches and homes were tastefully decked up with cribs
depicting the birth-in-the manger scene and stars twinkling on
Carol groups of churches and art clubs have been busy
visiting houses singing traditional Christmas songs.
Keralite Christians claim that the message of Jesus was
preached to their forebears by Apostle St Thomas who landed
at Kodungallur in Thrissur district in AD 52.
In the capital city, Arch Bishop M Soosai Packyam led the
mass at the St Joseph Cathedral of Latin Catholic hierarchy
while Major Arch Bishop led the service at St Mary`s
Cathederal of Syro Malankara Catholic church.
Senior bishops of CSI, Orthodox, Jacobite and other
denominations led the prayers in their churches across the
Sumptuous feast was an important feature of the occasion
in Christian homes apart from delicacies like cakes and
cookies. Syrian Christian homes also prepared a long list of
ethnic dishes giving a traditional touch to the celebrations.
Governor MOH Farook, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy and
leaders of all political parties greeted people on the
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets