Kerala child trafficking: One more held
Palakkad (Kerala): A 40-year-old man from Jharkhand, stated to be a middleman in trafficking children from eastern states to some orphanages in Kerala, was arrested at Wadakkanchery in Thrissur district today.
Based on a tip-off, a team of Crime Branch personnel, which was investigating the case, nabbed the accused, identified as Shakeel Ahamed, police said.
Earlier eight persons were arrested in connection with the case.
According to police, Ahamed, who was working as a migrant labourer in a quarry in Wadakkanchery, was with the children when they had been allegedly brought here by a train last month.
But, he had fled the scene when the railway police detained the children and those who accompanied them for not possessing valid documents, they said.
Meanwhile, Jharkhand Labour Commissioner Manish Ranjan, who visited the homes where the trafficked children are sheltered, said steps would be initiated to take over 150 children from his state to their homes.
Over 580 children from Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal, meant to be brought to two orphanages in the state, were detained by police at a railway station here after finding that many of them did not have any proper documents.
The issue had snowballed into a major row in the state with IUML, the key partner in UDF, objected treating the incident as a case of child trafficking.
Taking a serious note of the incident, Kerala State Child Rights Protection Commission had directed the state government to take necessary steps to send the children back home.
The children are now kept at state-run juvenile homes of the Child Welfare Society in Palakkad, Malappuram and Thrissur.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Spine chilling! French swimmer Yannick Agnel promises to swim around the Nordic island if Iceland win Euro 2016
- LeEco Le 2, Le Max2 second flash sale on July 5; registrations open
- Opal-studded meteorite points towards evolution of water on Earth!
- 'Rock On 2': Arjun Rampal clears air about spat with Purab Kohli, says it's 'fake news'!
- Despite ban, 15 alcohol factories still active in Bihar?