Kerala CM Oommen Chandy out of hospital, says no to more security
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, who was injured in stone-pelting, said he was not interested in increasing his security cover. He was discharged from hospital on Tuesday.
Chandy was injured on Sunday when his convoy came under attack at Kannur by suspected CPI-M activists.
A high-level police officials meeting had in principle agreed to increase the security of Chandy. They had proposed using a bullet proof car besides giving him Z category security.
"As of now, I am uncomfortable with the security that`s in place for me now and hence I am not interested in increasing my security cover. I prefer to be with the people and my security will be taken care by my people," Chandy told reporters soon after he was discharged from the Medical College hospital here on Tuesday morning.
On Sunday evening, when Chandy arrived to inaugurate the Kerala Police athletic meet, CPI-M activists stoned his car and he suffered injuries on his forehead, chest and foot.
Chandy said that it`s not the first time that he has come under attack.
"Everyone knows what happened at Kannur and they (CPI-M) have been targeting me for some time...”
"When I started towards the venue on Sunday, I called up a senior police official and he told me the CPI-M activists have blocked all the three gates to the venue. I specifically told them at no cost should there be any action and he agreed...," said Chandy.
He added: "They (CPI-M) were keen to see that some action takes place, similar to what happened at Kuthuparambu (where in 1994, police opened fire to protect a Kerala minister that left five youth activists of the CPI-M dead)."
"If at all there is any lapse, I take the responsibility and there is no wrong on the part of the Kerala police...," said Chandy.
Chandy clutched the hands of his five-year old grandson and walked to his waiting car that drove off to his official home. He has been advised a few days rest, but he said he will chair the weekly Cabinet meeting on Wednesday.
On reaching home, he was greeted by a few of his fellow Cabinet ministers and his relatives.
Chandy has been mobbed by people wherever he goes and this is seen when he holds his weekly `durbar` at his ancestral home in Puthupally in Kottayam district where he has been winning elections since 1970.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter