Kerala CM questioned in solar case: AG tells HC
Kochi: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy was questioned by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the solar panel scam, the High Court was Wednesday told by the Attorney General.
The disclosure was made by Advocate General K P Dandapani after much persuasion by Justice Harun-Al Rashid hearing a petition relating to solar scam over which opposition LDF has been seeking the resignation of Chandy in view of alleged involvement of some former staff of Chief Minister`s Office with the prime accused.
When the arguments in the petition were going on, the AG said "a responsible person has been questioned by Invesitgating officers".
When the judge asked who the person is, the AG refused to answer saying he did not want to say.
The court shot back "how can you refuse to answer?" after which the AG said it was the Chief Minister.
The court then said "even the complainant, Sreedharan Nair, does not suspect the complicity of the Chief Minister. Why should police question him (CM)?"
At this stage, petitioner Joy Kaitharath`s counsel intervened and said these observations were "unwarranted as investigation is continuing on the basis of statement to magistrate. This will scuttle investigation".
Reacting to the AG`s disclosure, Chandy said it was a routine procedure on the part of the AG to inform the high court on what had happened.
An impartial and just investigation was on in the case, he told reporters at Thiruvananthapuram.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees