Kerala CM seeks centre`s help for endosulfan victims
New Delhi: Kerala will seek Rs 375 crore
central assistance for disbursing compensation for people affected by the ill-effects of endosulfan and building a super speciality hospital for them.
New Chief Minister Ommen Chandy, who arrived here
today for a series of meetings, said he will raise the issue
with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
"The NHRC has recommended several measures for helping
endosulfan victims. We have accepted those proposals. I am meeting the Prime Minister and will seek for a central assistance of Rs 375 crore for those affected by the pesticide," Chandy told reporters here.
He said the government plans to build a super speciality hospital in Kasargode which would be of great help
for the victims.
"Endosulfan victims have to go to Mangalore (in
Karnataka) for treatment as there are no well-equipped
hospitals in Kasargode. So we have decided to have a super
speciality hospital," he said.
Chandy indicated that his government was not averse to
a PPP model for developing a Metro system in Kochi. "The
previous government was of the view that it should modelled
on the Delhi Metro system.
"However, the Planning Commission was opposed to it.
If the previous government`s proposal is workable, we will go
for it or otherwise we will explore for other options," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Mahatma Gandhi: Know six things you didn't know about him
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview