Kerala CM urges PM to grant `classical` status to Malayalam
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Chief Minister
V S Achuthanandan on Friday expressed the hope that Prime
Minister Manmohan Sigh would consider the state`s demand
for granting `classical` status to Malayalam, the only South
Indian laguague to get the coveted ranking.
"This demand has been before the Prime Minister. We hope,
he would consider it", Achuthanandan said while presiding
over a function where the Sing presented the 43rd Jnanpith
award to eminent Malayalam poet O N V Kurup.
The Chief Minister also sought the Prime Minister`s
intervention for making Malayalam learning compulusory in
Kerala schools following central syllabuses.
"Learning English and Hindi are compulsory in schools that
follow central board syllabuses. Malayalam is still out of
them. We wanted Prime Minister to intervene in this matter
to ensure that the mother tongue (of Keralites) is not
discriminated in schools that follow central syllabuses", he
The Kerala Government had recently submitted a memorandum
to the Prime Minister seeking conferment of classical status
to Malayalam, claiming that it met all the parameters for
inclusion in that coveted category along with other South
Indian luanguages Tamil, Kannada and Telugu.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price