Kerala CM urges PM to grant `classical` status to Malayalam
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Chief Minister
V S Achuthanandan on Friday expressed the hope that Prime
Minister Manmohan Sigh would consider the state`s demand
for granting `classical` status to Malayalam, the only South
Indian laguague to get the coveted ranking.
"This demand has been before the Prime Minister. We hope,
he would consider it", Achuthanandan said while presiding
over a function where the Sing presented the 43rd Jnanpith
award to eminent Malayalam poet O N V Kurup.
The Chief Minister also sought the Prime Minister`s
intervention for making Malayalam learning compulusory in
Kerala schools following central syllabuses.
"Learning English and Hindi are compulsory in schools that
follow central board syllabuses. Malayalam is still out of
them. We wanted Prime Minister to intervene in this matter
to ensure that the mother tongue (of Keralites) is not
discriminated in schools that follow central syllabuses", he
The Kerala Government had recently submitted a memorandum
to the Prime Minister seeking conferment of classical status
to Malayalam, claiming that it met all the parameters for
inclusion in that coveted category along with other South
Indian luanguages Tamil, Kannada and Telugu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown