Kerala CM welcomes SC verdict on CVC
Thiruvananthapuram: Welcoming the Supreme Court decision to quash the appointment of PJ Thomas as
Central Vigilance Commissioner, Kerala Chief Minister VS Achuthanandan on Thursday demanded the resignation of those responsible for the posting including Union Home Minister P Chidambaram.
"Thomas was posted by the Union Government ignoring the objection raised by the Opposition and without adhering to existing rules. Union Home Minister P Chidambaram should resign," he said, addressing a press conference here.
When reporters pointed out that the Prime Minister headed the panel that chose the CVC, the Chief Minister modified his answer, saying "I meant those responsible for the posting."
To the question on Thomas`s appointment as state Chief Secretary during his tenure, Achuthanandan said he took the decision based on the request from 27 IAS officers who opined that his services were required for the state. "I chose not to reject their plea," he said.
"However, I continued to pursue the 1992 palmolein import graft case in which Thomas was an accused and am still doing it," Achuthanandan said.
The palmolein case related to alleged corruption in importing pamolein from Malaysia, which caused a loss of
Rs 2.32 core to the state in 1991-92 when late Congress leader K Karunarakan was the Chief Minister and PJ Thomas the food secretary.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- 2016 Olympics: Russia escape blanket ban, but IOC bars whistle-blower from Rio Games
- Pakistan Daily calls Nawaz Sharif's statement on Kashmir 'wishful thinking and unrealistic'
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Record fifth win sends Lewis Hamilton top
- Olympian predicts record medal haul from Indian shooters at 2016 Rio Games
- Watch video: NASA's SDO captures solar material bursting from the sun!