Kerala: Compensation for LPG tanker blast victims
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala will give jobs, pensions and compensations to the next of kin of those killed and the injured victims of last week`s LPG tanker blast in which 19 people were killed and 12 others injured, Chief Minister Oomen Chandy said Monday.
The decision was taken at a special cabinet meeting here. Chandy told reporters that the state government has decided to provide jobs to one person from the family of each of those killed for which it will speak to the authorities of Indian Oil Corporation, whose product was being carried by the tanker that exploded.
"In some cases, where a job is not required, we will pay a monthly pension of Rs.5,000 each. Besides this, a sum of Rs 10 lakh would be paid to the family of each of those killed. All those who suffered more than 40 per cent burns will be given Rs 5,00,000 and others who suffered below 40 per cent burns would get Rs.two lakh each," Chandy said.
According to the report submitted by the district authorities, the explosion caused more than of Rs.110 lakh-worth of damage, which includes shops and vehicles destroyed.
"The houses which were destroyed would be rebuilt. The road extending to almost 10.5 km near the accident site would also be reconstructed and for that the funds would come from the MP, MLA and the local bodies funds," said Chandy.
The incident occurred when the lorry carrying liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) overturned after hitting a divider last Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report