Kerala Cong chief wants Rahul as party VP
New Delhi: Amid growing demand for larger role for Rahul Gandhi, Congress` Kerala unit chief Ramesh Chennithala has written to Sonia Gandhi requesting her to appoint the young leader as party Vice President.
Sources said Chennithala has requested Gandhi to elevate the party General Secretary as the Vice President to enable him to play larger political role.
Earlier this month, Chennithala had requested Rahul Gandhi personally to assume "larger role" in the party. He had made the request during his meeting with Gandhi, sources told PTI.
Chennithala`s letter comes close on the heels of the one written by 10 MPs to the Congress President favouring appointment of Rahul as the Leader of the Lok Sabha.
The joint letter of MPs, who included PC Chacko, Madan Lal Sharma, Jaiprakash Hegde, Pratap Singh Bajwa and Arvind Sharma and Franscisco Sardinha said it was the "need of the hour" to create a "sense of confidence" among the countrymen.
In their joint letter, the Lok Sabha MPs had said that as Leader of the House, Rahul would be able to speak "dynamically" on issues concerning the masses and inspire fellow Parliamentarians to follow his example, willingly and cheerfully.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- UN council discusses move to enforce North Korea sanctions
- Norway helicopter crash: All 13 people on board dead, 11 bodies recovered
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video
- Kerala Assembly Elections 2016: VS Achuthanandan’s one line speech stuns CPM workers
- Actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha says he would be happy to promote Bihar as its brand ambassador