Kerala Congress factions to merge on May 27
Kottyam: Leaders of Kerala Congress factions
K M Mani (KC-M) and P J Joseph (KC-J) on Saturday announced their
decision to merge their parties on May 27, ignoring resentment
from the Congress that heads the UDF of which KC(M) is a
Joseph, whose party was a constituent of the ruling LDF,
had left the coalition and cabinet membership a fortnight ago
ahead of his plans to merge with Kerala Congress (M).
The decision to merge the two parties was formalised at a
leadership meeting of the outfits held here today, where they
also reached an agreement on sharing the key party posts.
At a joint press meet, Mani and Joseph said the merger
meeting would be held here on May 27.
As per the merger formula, Mani will be the Chairman of
the party and leader in the assembly while Joseph would be the
Joseph`s nominees would be given presidentship of Idukki,
Ernakulam, Thrissur and Palakkad districts and those from the
Kerala Cong (Mani) would retain the presidentship of the
remaiming 10 districts.
Mani said he would hold discussions with the Congress
leadership on May 17 to remove that party`s misgivings over
the merger plan.
The move of Kerala Congress factions to merge and become
part of the UDF had sparked strong resentment in the
Congress, which saw it as part of a gameplan to emerge as
force to reckon with in Kerala`s Christian heartland Central
The merger of the two factions reportedly had the
blessings of some powerful sections of the Catholic Bishops in
The Congress`s student wing in the state, KSU, recently
submitted a memorandum to AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi
against admitting Joseph to the UDF, against whom the student
outfit had levelled corruption charges and organised
agitations in the past.
Congress leaders had sent clear signals to the Kerala
Congress that their claim for a larger share of assembly seats
in the polls next year would not be conceded.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion