Kerala Congress factions to merge on May 27
Kottyam: Leaders of Kerala Congress factions
K M Mani (KC-M) and P J Joseph (KC-J) on Saturday announced their
decision to merge their parties on May 27, ignoring resentment
from the Congress that heads the UDF of which KC(M) is a
Joseph, whose party was a constituent of the ruling LDF,
had left the coalition and cabinet membership a fortnight ago
ahead of his plans to merge with Kerala Congress (M).
The decision to merge the two parties was formalised at a
leadership meeting of the outfits held here today, where they
also reached an agreement on sharing the key party posts.
At a joint press meet, Mani and Joseph said the merger
meeting would be held here on May 27.
As per the merger formula, Mani will be the Chairman of
the party and leader in the assembly while Joseph would be the
Joseph`s nominees would be given presidentship of Idukki,
Ernakulam, Thrissur and Palakkad districts and those from the
Kerala Cong (Mani) would retain the presidentship of the
remaiming 10 districts.
Mani said he would hold discussions with the Congress
leadership on May 17 to remove that party`s misgivings over
the merger plan.
The move of Kerala Congress factions to merge and become
part of the UDF had sparked strong resentment in the
Congress, which saw it as part of a gameplan to emerge as
force to reckon with in Kerala`s Christian heartland Central
The merger of the two factions reportedly had the
blessings of some powerful sections of the Catholic Bishops in
The Congress`s student wing in the state, KSU, recently
submitted a memorandum to AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi
against admitting Joseph to the UDF, against whom the student
outfit had levelled corruption charges and organised
agitations in the past.
Congress leaders had sent clear signals to the Kerala
Congress that their claim for a larger share of assembly seats
in the polls next year would not be conceded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow