Kerala Congress MP denies misbehaving with actress
Kollam: Congress MP N Peethambara Kurup, embroiled in controversy over alleged molestation of Malayalam cine actress Shweta Menon at a function here last evening, on Saturday strongly denied having committed such an act.
"It is totally untrue. I am telling this since my name has come up in a section of the media in connection with the incident," 73-year-old Kurup, representing Kollam in the Lok Sabha, told the media here today.
Shweta had yesterday complained, without naming her tormentor, that she was physically humilated at the venue of the President`s Trophy boat race function here last evening.
Media footage showed Kurup touching her after which the MP issued the statement.
The MP today said it was extremely painful that his name had been dragged into the unfortunate incident and that he was confident of proving his innocence with the backing of strong proof.
"For the time being it needs to be seen only as a politically motivated move when elections are approaching. It is painful that any kind of malicious attack could be unleashed against me just because I am a politician," he said.
The incident sparked strong protests from the Malayalam film fraternity and women`s outfits who demanded strong action in the incident.
Police are yet to register a case in connection with the incident, based either on the complaint the actress claimed to have orally made to the District Collector or by taking note of media reports.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy told reporters at Kottayam that he had not received any complaint from the actor so far on the incident.
"If we get a complaint, after investigation appropriate action will be taken," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview