Kerala court cancels Varkala assembly poll
Kochi: The Kerala High Court on Tuesday cancelled the election held at Varkala assembly constituency following a petition by Bahujan Samaj Party`s (BSP) S. Prahaladan, whose nomination was found not in order.
Prahaladan`s nomination was not found in order by the returning officer because of technical flaws. Upholding his petition against the decision, the court cancelled the election at the Varkala constituency in the capital district.
The verdict appears to be a setback for the Oommen Chandy-led United Democratic Front (UDF) government, which is ruling with a tiny majority of six seats. The Varkala seat has been a Congress citadel since 2001.
In the 140 assembly, the Congress-led government has 73 seats and the opposition has 67 seats.
Varkala Kahar had scored a hat-trick at the Varkala seat in the 2011 assembly polls.
But the court gave time to Kahar to approach the Supreme Court against the verdict.
"This is not a verdict against me. I will approach the apex court and I am confident that I will get a favourable verdict," said Kahar.
UDF convener P.P. Thankachan reacted to the news by saying that an appeal would be filed.
"Moreover, we do not fear a by-election. We have won two by-elections since the government assumed office in May 2011," said Thankachan.
CPI state secretary Panniyan Ravindran said the court order was bad news for the government.
"There is all round chaos in the UDF now and a by-election will be tough for the government," said Ravindran.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends