Kerala court cancels Varkala assembly poll
Kochi: The Kerala High Court on Tuesday cancelled the election held at Varkala assembly constituency following a petition by Bahujan Samaj Party`s (BSP) S. Prahaladan, whose nomination was found not in order.
Prahaladan`s nomination was not found in order by the returning officer because of technical flaws. Upholding his petition against the decision, the court cancelled the election at the Varkala constituency in the capital district.
The verdict appears to be a setback for the Oommen Chandy-led United Democratic Front (UDF) government, which is ruling with a tiny majority of six seats. The Varkala seat has been a Congress citadel since 2001.
In the 140 assembly, the Congress-led government has 73 seats and the opposition has 67 seats.
Varkala Kahar had scored a hat-trick at the Varkala seat in the 2011 assembly polls.
But the court gave time to Kahar to approach the Supreme Court against the verdict.
"This is not a verdict against me. I will approach the apex court and I am confident that I will get a favourable verdict," said Kahar.
UDF convener P.P. Thankachan reacted to the news by saying that an appeal would be filed.
"Moreover, we do not fear a by-election. We have won two by-elections since the government assumed office in May 2011," said Thankachan.
CPI state secretary Panniyan Ravindran said the court order was bad news for the government.
"There is all round chaos in the UDF now and a by-election will be tough for the government," said Ravindran.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today
- Baaghi tweet review: First day first show!
- EPF interest rate: Nationwide protest by trade unions today
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput get holiday vibes! See inside
- Priyanka Chopra's dinner date with 'Baywatch' cast! View in pic