Kerala court orders BJP, LDF to pay Rs 3,700 as compensation
Kochi: A Kerala court has directed leaders of BJP and the CPI(M) led Left Democratic Front (LDF) to pay Rs 3,700 as compensation to a small-scale industrialist at nearby Kalamassery, who was prevented from opening his establishment on a strike day in September 2011.
The order in this regard was passed by the Ernakulam Munisiff Court here yesterday on a petition by George John, who runs a unit manufacturing goods for the flooring industry.
The LDF and BJP had called for a `hartal` on September 19, 2011. Despite the call, the petitioner said he and his employees were willing to work, which was not allowed by the activists of the front and the BJP.
The petitioner and his employees thus suffered loss of daily wages and income totalling Rs 3,700, it was submitted.
Though LDF Convenor Vaikom Viswan and BJP State President V Muraleedharan were issued summons to appear, they did not turn up before the court.
Viswan and Muraleedharan have been asked to pay the amount with 12 per cent interest.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference