Kerala CPI-M leader denied bail in murder case
Kannur: A court on Saturday denied bail to Marxist leader P. Jayarajan, arrested for his alleged role in the murder of a Muslim League worker.
The Kannur chief judicial (first class) magistrate observed that there was a chance that Jayarajan might prevail upon the witnesses in the case and denied him bail.
Jayarajan`s counsel said they would Monday appeal and move a bail plea in the Kerala High Court.
Jayarajan, Communist Party of India-Marxist`s (CPI-M) Kannur district secretary, was held Wednesday and sent to a two-week custody in connection with the murder of Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) worker Abdul Shukoor in February.
Opposing the bail plea, the special public prosecutor told the court Jayarajan should not be given bail since investigations were still on.
Jayarajan`s counsel said the charges under which the Marxist leader was arrested are those where a bail could be easily given.
Jayarajan is the 38th accused in the case. Police have already arrested more than 12 CPI-M activists in the case.
The 39th accused in the case, CPI-M legislator T.V. Rajesh, has moved an anticipatory bail plea in the high court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened