Kerala defends in SC controversial law on Mullaperiyar row
New Delhi: Kerala on Tuesday defended in the
Supreme Court its controversial legislation on Mullaperiryar
dam row and said Tamil Nadu neither had any riparian nor
Constitutional right to challenge the law.
Commencing the arguments for the state before a
Constituion Bench, senior counsel Harish Salve said
Mullaperiyar river rises and flows in Kerala alone before
culminating in the sea and as such Tamil Nadu cannot claim any
riparian rights over it.
Earlier, in 2007, the apex court had passed a judgement
in favour of Tamil Nadu by allowing it to raise the water
level from 136 feet to 142 feet at the century-old
Mullaperiyar dam which, though located in Kerala`s Idduki
district, caters to the drinking and irrigation needs of Tamil
Kerala subsequently brought a legislation to overcome
the Supreme Court judgement by restraining Tamil Nadu from
raising the height beyond the 136 feet on the ground that it
posed a threat to the safety of its people as the dam,
according to it, has outlived its durability. It had offered
to construct an alternative dam to which Tamil Nadu is
The Constitution bench comprising Justice D K Jain, B
Sudershan Reddy, Mukundakam Sharma, R M Lodha and Deepak
Verma was constituted since it involved important
Constitutional questions relating to a state`s power to enact
a legislation reportedly circumventing the apex court`s
Salve argued Kerala had every right to formulate a law to
regulate the water level of the dam as it was located within
He claimed it was purely "an intra-state" law about which
Tamil Nadu had no right to complain or move the apex court.
The counsel submitted the Supreme Court cannot intervene in
the dispute as the state derived its power under Article 245
of the Constitution.
Under Article 245 of the Constitution, Parliament may
make laws for the whole or any part of the territory of India
and the Legislature of a State may make laws for the whole or
any part of the State.
He further contended that Kerala was only regulating
the water level in the interests of it people`s safety and not
in any manner stopping supply of water to Tamil Nadu.
The arguments would resume tommorrow.
Besides, the Constitutional validity of the legislation,
the Constitution bench has also decided to sift through the
voluminous documents submitted by the two states in support of
their contentions for and against continuance of the dam.
Kerala, apart from restricting the water level, has also
simultaneously obtained an environmental clearance from the
Ministry of Environment for constructing a new dam by
demolishing the existing one, which has been challenged in the
apex court by Tamil Nadu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'