Kerala: Ex-minister Pillai granted parole to visit ailing wife
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Congress (B) leader
and former state minister, R Balakrishna Pillai, serving one-year imprisonment in a corruption case since February last, was today granted parole for 10 days.
Pillai`s actor-cum-politician son K B Ganesh Kumar was
sworn in as a minister in the UDF ministry headed by Congress
leader Oommen Chandy yesterday. He is pitted to get the plum
Tourism and film-related portfolios.
This was the second time that the septuagenarian politician
was getting parole since he was jailed three months ago. On
both occasions he was granted the relief to visit his wife who
is undergoing treatment.
Though Pillai had expressed a wish to get out of prison on
parole before the swearing in ceremony of the ministry
yesterday, the authorities insisted he should be allowed to go
out of the jail only on certain firm conditions.
Pillai?s close confidantes alleged that the restrictions
were a ruse to prevent him from attending the swearing in
ceremony at the Raj Bhavan.
The KC(B) leader was lodged in prison on February 18
after the Supreme Court sentenced him and two others in the
case relating to irregularities in awarding contracts for the
Edamalaylar power project when he was power minister in the
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand