Kerala: Ex-minister Pillai granted parole to visit ailing wife
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Congress (B) leader
and former state minister, R Balakrishna Pillai, serving one-year imprisonment in a corruption case since February last, was today granted parole for 10 days.
Pillai`s actor-cum-politician son K B Ganesh Kumar was
sworn in as a minister in the UDF ministry headed by Congress
leader Oommen Chandy yesterday. He is pitted to get the plum
Tourism and film-related portfolios.
This was the second time that the septuagenarian politician
was getting parole since he was jailed three months ago. On
both occasions he was granted the relief to visit his wife who
is undergoing treatment.
Though Pillai had expressed a wish to get out of prison on
parole before the swearing in ceremony of the ministry
yesterday, the authorities insisted he should be allowed to go
out of the jail only on certain firm conditions.
Pillai?s close confidantes alleged that the restrictions
were a ruse to prevent him from attending the swearing in
ceremony at the Raj Bhavan.
The KC(B) leader was lodged in prison on February 18
after the Supreme Court sentenced him and two others in the
case relating to irregularities in awarding contracts for the
Edamalaylar power project when he was power minister in the
- Delhi wants permanent Odd-Even, finds survey
- Now, BSF installs laser walls on Indo-Pak border to check infiltration: Reports
- Notice being served on those named in Panama Papers: Arun Jaitley
- CBI begins probe into Harish Rawat sting CD case
- Asia Badminton Championship: Saina Nehwal enters semis, plays Wang Yihan of China