Kerala facing `grim` drought, Govt gears up machinery
Thiruvananthapuram: With scorching summer pushing Kerala to unprecedented drought, political parties today voiced concern in the state assembly over the acute water and power crisis even as the Government said it has already taken all possible measures to tackle the "grim situation."
After a three-hour debate on an adjournment motion by opposition LDF, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said Rs 159 crore had already been sanctioned to take urgent measures as the government acted well in advance anticipating the trying times in store.
All through the debate on the concluding day of the current session, members from both sides wanted the government to take more steps to alleviate the sufferings of the people.
LDF members came down heavily on the government charging it with failing to rise to the occasion.
Chandy said Kerala was facing the "worst" drought situation in the state`s history with mercury soaring to 41 degree Celsius in some parts and for the first time several cases of sunstroke being reported.
He said district administrations had been asked to step up emergency services like drinking water supply.
He said the government had anticipated the situation well in advance and declared the entire state as drought-hit four months back and started works to minimise the trouble.
Referring to the LDF criticism that the government had not taken any effective step to obtain its due quantum of water from Tamil Nadu under the Parambikulam Aliyar Project (PAP) agreement, Chandy said the state had sent three letters to its neighbour but the government there had only harped on "difficulties and problems".
Kerala, however, had taken steps to move Supreme Court to ensure it got its due share of water under the PAP, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?