Kerala feels pinch of upcountry power outage
Thiruvananthapuram: Failure of power transmission in northern and eastern parts of the country yesterday had a cascading effect on down south Kerala with the state finding it difficult to maintain peak hour demand last night with drawing from the central pool coming to a virtual halt.
The state went without power last night for about 30 minutes as the electricity board was forced to resort to "undeclared loadshedding" in different spells.
The disruption in supply appeared as a foretaste of dark days in store as the state is already on the brink of a grim power crunch with the storage level in reservoirs plummeting sharply due to drastic drop in rainfall in the south monsoon season starting from June first week.
According to KSEB sources, the state did not get its normal quota from the central pool yesterday due to the power outage in the north. But the situation is expected to ease today with restoration of part of the central share.
According to IMD, south west monsoon has been deficient by about 38 per cent over Kerala and its has its worst impact on power sector as bulk of Kerala`s electricity is from hydel generation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'