Kerala feels pinch of upcountry power outage
Thiruvananthapuram: Failure of power transmission in northern and eastern parts of the country yesterday had a cascading effect on down south Kerala with the state finding it difficult to maintain peak hour demand last night with drawing from the central pool coming to a virtual halt.
The state went without power last night for about 30 minutes as the electricity board was forced to resort to "undeclared loadshedding" in different spells.
The disruption in supply appeared as a foretaste of dark days in store as the state is already on the brink of a grim power crunch with the storage level in reservoirs plummeting sharply due to drastic drop in rainfall in the south monsoon season starting from June first week.
According to KSEB sources, the state did not get its normal quota from the central pool yesterday due to the power outage in the north. But the situation is expected to ease today with restoration of part of the central share.
According to IMD, south west monsoon has been deficient by about 38 per cent over Kerala and its has its worst impact on power sector as bulk of Kerala`s electricity is from hydel generation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!