Kerala feels pinch of upcountry power outage
Thiruvananthapuram: Failure of power transmission in northern and eastern parts of the country yesterday had a cascading effect on down south Kerala with the state finding it difficult to maintain peak hour demand last night with drawing from the central pool coming to a virtual halt.
The state went without power last night for about 30 minutes as the electricity board was forced to resort to "undeclared loadshedding" in different spells.
The disruption in supply appeared as a foretaste of dark days in store as the state is already on the brink of a grim power crunch with the storage level in reservoirs plummeting sharply due to drastic drop in rainfall in the south monsoon season starting from June first week.
According to KSEB sources, the state did not get its normal quota from the central pool yesterday due to the power outage in the north. But the situation is expected to ease today with restoration of part of the central share.
According to IMD, south west monsoon has been deficient by about 38 per cent over Kerala and its has its worst impact on power sector as bulk of Kerala`s electricity is from hydel generation.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks