Kerala feels pinch of upcountry power outage
Thiruvananthapuram: Failure of power transmission in northern and eastern parts of the country yesterday had a cascading effect on down south Kerala with the state finding it difficult to maintain peak hour demand last night with drawing from the central pool coming to a virtual halt.
The state went without power last night for about 30 minutes as the electricity board was forced to resort to "undeclared loadshedding" in different spells.
The disruption in supply appeared as a foretaste of dark days in store as the state is already on the brink of a grim power crunch with the storage level in reservoirs plummeting sharply due to drastic drop in rainfall in the south monsoon season starting from June first week.
According to KSEB sources, the state did not get its normal quota from the central pool yesterday due to the power outage in the north. But the situation is expected to ease today with restoration of part of the central share.
According to IMD, south west monsoon has been deficient by about 38 per cent over Kerala and its has its worst impact on power sector as bulk of Kerala`s electricity is from hydel generation.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'