Kerala Finance Minister seeks support of Centre for development projects
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Finance Minister KM Mani on Wednesday sought the support and assistance of the Centre to carry forward development projects formulated by the state.
Mani, in a letter to Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, said that with his (Jaitley) vast professional experience and exposure to various sectors in the Union Government, he was sure that the FM would be able to evolve suitable policies for the overall economic growth of the country.
Stating that the nation`s economy had been doing well in the last few years, he said lack of growth has adversely affected revenues of both Central and State Governments.
The Central Government had in fact made substantial reductions in Plan outlays, he pointed out.
The share of Central taxes to States had also come down significantly last year.
Mani said the global economic slowdown had its impact on India also, resulting in a fall in revenues, economic growth and employment generation.
Implementation of VAT in the previous decade had helped the state consolidate their fiscal position. But this trend was reversed in the last few years because of the fall in growth, he said.
"I would therefore request you to keep in view the urgent need to rejuvenate the economy`, he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened