Kerala fishing boat owner to settle issue
Kochi: After families of two fishermen shot dead by marines onboard `Enrica Lexie` reached a compromise with Italian authorities, the owner of the boat in which the victims were out for fishing has also agreed to settle the case.
Notwithstanding the criminal case pending against the two marines involved in the case, Italian authorities have offered Rs 17 lakh to Freddy J, the owner of `St Antony` boat, his counsel Raja Vijaya Raghavan said on Thursday.
Freddy is the main witness in the criminal case registered against the marines, Latore Massimilliano and Salvatore Girone, who allegedly fired at the fishing boat off Kollam coast on February 15.
Freddy was the `srank` (captain) of the boat when the incident happened.
A petition seeking transfer of the compensation suit filed by Freddy, now pending before the Kerala High Court, to the Lok Adalat, has been filed in the High Court, Raghavan said.
After accepting the offer of Rs 17 lakh, "we will not pursue the suit filed against the owners of `Enrica Lexi", he said.
Freddy in his original compensation suit had claimed Rs 72 lakh from the ship owners and they had deposited a bank guarantee of Rs 10 lakh in the court.
Raghavan claimed Italian authorities approached Freddy as a "goodwill" gesture and offered Rs 17 lakh, which he accepted, as compensation to settle the case.
On April 24, family members of the deceased -- Valentine Jalastine and Ajesh Binki -- reached a compromise with Italian authorities and each accepted Rs one crore compensation.
The High Court had earlier permitted the families to withdraw their contentions made against Italy`s plea for quashing the FIR against the marines.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog