Kerala for DMRC taking up Kochi metro project
Thiruvananthapuram:The Kerala government has instructed its representatives in the Director Board of the Kochi Metro Rail Limited (KMRL) to support the claim of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) to carry out the project.
The decision was taken at a high-level meeting convened by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy here yesterday, according to official sources.
The decision assumes significance in the wake of the row that norms of the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) might come in the way of DMRC executing the project.
CVC norms did not allow award of the contract to an agency which did the consultancy for the project, foundation for which was laid by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh recently.
DMRC was a consultant to the state government for preparing the detailed project report. DMRC principal advisor E Sreedharan had said that the norm was not applicable in the case of KMRL as the deal was between two state agencies.
He also cautioned against delay in implementation of the project which would result in a huge financial burden for the state government.
The meeting of the KMRL director board in which the state government has five members, would be meeting on October 19 at Kochi where the state would present the view that the CVC norms might be relaxed in the case of Kochi Metro, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional