Kerala formation day celebrated
Thiruvananthapuram: As the people of Kerala on Thursday celebrated the 66th day of state formation, the government came out with new initiative for the services of the people.
While several girl students attended educational institutions wearing traditional "Kerala saree" boys wore mundu (dhoti) and shirts. Women employees in various offices were also seen with traditional Kerala sarees as part of celebrations.
Along with the anniversary of statehood, state government offered to its people The Right to Services Act and opened the much awaiting `The Malayalam University` named after Mahakavi Thunchath Ezhuthachan, considered to be the father of Malayalam language.
The new University headquartered at Tirur in Malappuram district was inaugurated by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy in the presence of a large number of people.
Senior IAS officer and a noted poet K Jayakumar, who demit the office of Chief Secretary yesterday, is the first Vice-Chancellor of the new University, which in initial stage would offer 15 programmes covering the socio-cultural history of Kerala to students.
Right to Service Act, first of its kind in the country, ensure every person the right to get government services within a fixed time. In the first phase, 13 services offered by various departments and nine offered by police have been brought under the ambit of the Act.
Another major welfare measure initiative the government on the statehood day was the distribution of free generic drugs to the patients of all government medical colleges and major general hospitals at Thiruvananthapuram, Ernakulam and Kozhikode.
As a first step, 825 generic medicines would be given free to patients to provide relief patients at a time when the medicine prices are skyrocketing. The scheme would be extended to all hospitals stage by state.
`Farmer`s protection-Food richness`, a new programme to promote agriculture in the state with a view to make the state self-sufficient in food articles were also launched.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark