Kerala formation day celebrated
Thiruvananthapuram: As the people of Kerala on Thursday celebrated the 66th day of state formation, the government came out with new initiative for the services of the people.
While several girl students attended educational institutions wearing traditional "Kerala saree" boys wore mundu (dhoti) and shirts. Women employees in various offices were also seen with traditional Kerala sarees as part of celebrations.
Along with the anniversary of statehood, state government offered to its people The Right to Services Act and opened the much awaiting `The Malayalam University` named after Mahakavi Thunchath Ezhuthachan, considered to be the father of Malayalam language.
The new University headquartered at Tirur in Malappuram district was inaugurated by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy in the presence of a large number of people.
Senior IAS officer and a noted poet K Jayakumar, who demit the office of Chief Secretary yesterday, is the first Vice-Chancellor of the new University, which in initial stage would offer 15 programmes covering the socio-cultural history of Kerala to students.
Right to Service Act, first of its kind in the country, ensure every person the right to get government services within a fixed time. In the first phase, 13 services offered by various departments and nine offered by police have been brought under the ambit of the Act.
Another major welfare measure initiative the government on the statehood day was the distribution of free generic drugs to the patients of all government medical colleges and major general hospitals at Thiruvananthapuram, Ernakulam and Kozhikode.
As a first step, 825 generic medicines would be given free to patients to provide relief patients at a time when the medicine prices are skyrocketing. The scheme would be extended to all hospitals stage by state.
`Farmer`s protection-Food richness`, a new programme to promote agriculture in the state with a view to make the state self-sufficient in food articles were also launched.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’