Kerala Governor Farook dies
Chennai: Kerala Governor MOH Farook passed away at a hospital here tonight at the age of 74 following a brief illness.
He died at the Apollo Hospitals where he was undergoing treatment since last month for kidney and other ailments, his son and former Puducherry minister M O H F Shahjahan said.
Farook, a senior Congress leader and former Puducherry chief minister and MP, is survived by son and two daughters.
He was sworn in as the 19th governor of Kerala last September, prior to which he had occupied the gubernatorial post in Jharkhand.
Farook had served as Chief Minister of the Union Territory of Puducherry thrice and was a Union Minister of State for Civil Aviation and Tourism between 1991 and 1992.
He was elected to Lok Sabha for three terms from 1991 from Puducherry and had also served as Indian Ambassador to Saudi Arabia.
Condoling his death, Congress President Sonia Gandhi described him as an embodiment of secular ideals and recalled his servces to the nation and the party.
Farook, a key political figure in the Union Territory,
had the distinction of being the youngest Speaker of the
Puducherry Assembly in the late 1960s.
He had never faced defeat in any electoral battles in his
several decades long political career.
Expressing grief over the death of Farook, Union Minister
of State in PMO V Narayanasamy told PTI from Delhi that he was
an able administrator and a good politician who had guided
the destiny of Puducherry in different capacities.
"In the death of Farook, Puducherry has lost an astute
political leader and his death is an irreparable loss," he
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Supreme Court bans diesel, petrol cabs in Delhi-NCR from May 1
- SHOCKING! Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Haryana - WATCH VIDEO
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan to star in Ajay Devgn's ‘Baadshaho’?
- AgustaWestland bribery scam: CBI questions ex-IAF deputy chief JS Gujaral
- Subramanian Swamy may soon form Virat Hindustan Sansadiya Sangam of MPs for grand Hindutva concept