Kerala govt again writes to HC for services of sitting judge
Thiruvananthapuram; The Kerala government has once again sought the services of a sitting High Court judge to probe the solar scam which has been used by the CPI-M led LDF opposition to attack the ruling UDF for the past three months.
The government, in a letter to the Court Registrar, sought the service of a sitting judge holding that the case was very important, official sources said here today.
The renewed request came in the wake of the court informing the government last week it cannot spare a sitting judge.
Congress-led UDF government, which is under pressure from LDF over the scam that brought the CM`s office under a cloud, had announced a judicial probe at the height of the Opposition campaign pressing for the resignation of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on the issue.
As part of its agitation demanding Chandy`s resignation, LDF workers had laid a siege to the secretariat here last month, but it was called off after the probe was announced.
The tug of war between UDF and LDF is over the issue of inclusion of CM`s office in the ambit of the probe.
The scam relates to cheating people of huge sums by the arrested accused Biju Radhakrishnan and Saritha Nair by offering solar energy solutions. A Special Investigation Team probing the case has completed its probe.
The case assumed a serious political dimension with the arrest of Tenny Joppan, a Personal Assistant in the Chief Minister`s office, for his alleged links with the accused.
Former director of Public Relations Department, A Firoz, and teleactress and danseuse Shalu Menon were also arrested in a related case. Shalu and Joppan are out on bail.
The LDF has been alleging that such a huge scam would not have taken place without the collusion of the Chief Minister.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference