‘Kerala govt bent on demolishing Mullaperiyar dam’
Chennai: MDMK chief Vaiko on Monday alleged that
Kerala government was bent upon "demolishing" the Mullaperiyar
dam at any cost by attempting to create a "fear psychosis"
over its condition.
"In the name of constructing a new dam, Kerala government
is bent upon demolishing the existing dam to deprive Tamil
Nadu of its right for 999 years," he said in a reference to
the 999 years for which Tamil Nadu holds lease rights on the
"If a new dam is constructed, Tamil Nadu will not get even
a single drop of water," he said in a statement.
Claiming that the existing dam was the "strongest in
India", he said it had a 200-feet long base which is the
longest in the country.
Kerala government was involved in an attempt to create
"fear psychosis" among people in Kerala over the safety of the
dam and was preparing them for demolishing the dam, Vaiko
Today`s hartal in some parts of Kerala was a step in this
direction, he said, adding the Centre was siding with Kerala
instead of protecting the rights of Tamil Nadu.
Vaiko said he had received reports that effigies of Chief
Minister Jayalalithaa, Tamil Nationalist Movement leader P
Nedumaran and his were burnt in several parts of Kerala and
appealed to his supporters not to indulge in any sort
Kerala has been pressing for immediate Central intervention
to persuade Tamil Nadu on agreeing to the proposal of a new
dam at Mullaperiyar, claiming that the present structure posed
a threat to nearly three million people, mainly in Idukki,
Kottayam and Ernakulam districts.
However, holding a contradictory view, Tamil Nadu has
opposed construction of a new dam, asserting that the present
reservoir was "as safe and good as new" and accused Kerala of
whipping up public fear over the issue.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Adani Food's pulses processing unit proposal in SEZ rejected
- Wow! UP govt to set up theme park on K Asif's magnum opus ‘Mughal-e-Azam’ in Etawah
- India 'A' leads table with 11 points despite match with South Africa 'A' being abandoned due to rain
- Sakshi Malik's felicitation ceremony: Fans disappointed, as Netas hog limelight, wrestler doesn't get to speak
- All Audi India models to get petrol engines by Q1 2017