‘Kerala govt bent on demolishing Mullaperiyar dam’
Chennai: MDMK chief Vaiko on Monday alleged that
Kerala government was bent upon "demolishing" the Mullaperiyar
dam at any cost by attempting to create a "fear psychosis"
over its condition.
"In the name of constructing a new dam, Kerala government
is bent upon demolishing the existing dam to deprive Tamil
Nadu of its right for 999 years," he said in a reference to
the 999 years for which Tamil Nadu holds lease rights on the
"If a new dam is constructed, Tamil Nadu will not get even
a single drop of water," he said in a statement.
Claiming that the existing dam was the "strongest in
India", he said it had a 200-feet long base which is the
longest in the country.
Kerala government was involved in an attempt to create
"fear psychosis" among people in Kerala over the safety of the
dam and was preparing them for demolishing the dam, Vaiko
Today`s hartal in some parts of Kerala was a step in this
direction, he said, adding the Centre was siding with Kerala
instead of protecting the rights of Tamil Nadu.
Vaiko said he had received reports that effigies of Chief
Minister Jayalalithaa, Tamil Nationalist Movement leader P
Nedumaran and his were burnt in several parts of Kerala and
appealed to his supporters not to indulge in any sort
Kerala has been pressing for immediate Central intervention
to persuade Tamil Nadu on agreeing to the proposal of a new
dam at Mullaperiyar, claiming that the present structure posed
a threat to nearly three million people, mainly in Idukki,
Kottayam and Ernakulam districts.
However, holding a contradictory view, Tamil Nadu has
opposed construction of a new dam, asserting that the present
reservoir was "as safe and good as new" and accused Kerala of
whipping up public fear over the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical