Kerala govt orders reinvestigation of sex scandal case
The Kerala government Thursday ordered a re-investigation in the Kozhikode ice cream parlour sex scandal involving IUML leader P.K. Kunhalikutty following allegations that two former High Court judges had helped him in the case.
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala government Thursday ordered a re-investigation in the Kozhikode ice cream parlour sex scandal involving Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) leader P.K. Kunhalikutty following allegations that two former high court judges had helped him in the case.
The development came as union Minister of State for Home Mulapally Ramachandran said that a re-investigation in the case was not possible.
Addressing reporters here, state Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan asked Ramachandran to explain why the case cannot be re-investigated.
"We wish to know on what basis Ramachandran said that a reinvestigation is not possible. But we have decided to appoint a special team under (Additional Director General of Police Vinson M.) Paul to look into the case after the new revelations," said Balakrishnan.
K.A. Rauf, a close relative of Kunhalikutty (their wives are sisters), last week alleged two former judges Narayana Kurup and K. Thankappan were instrumental in making the case favourable for the leader.
Speaking to reporters in Kannur, Ramachandran Thursday said that the new revelations were being made "by a person with no credibility".
"I did check up with experts who have ruled that it is not possible to reopen this case. It is sad that what is now going on is a cruel media trial in a case that was closed by several courts, but what can be done is a probe in the light of the new revelations on former judges," he said.
According to Rauf, it was through former additional director general of prosecution K.C. Peter that the money for Kurup was handed over to the judge`s son-in-law Sunny in his presence, while it was through the help of an additional advocate general that Thankappan was influenced. Thankappan denied the allegation Tuesday and said he will take legal action against Rauf.
The case of sexual abuse of a minor girl, which involved Kunhalikutty, a former state industries minister, was closed by the courts in 2006, including the apex court of the country.
The alleged sex racket in early 1990s used an ice cream parlour in Kozhikode as its base, giving the scandal its name.
The IUML, in an emergency meeting held Monday, dismissed the resurfacing of the case as nothing but an attempt to malign the party ahead of the assembly polls.
The case once again hit the headlines last Friday when Kunhalikutty said he faced threat to his life from Rauf and that he suspected a forged CD was to be released soon.