Kerala govt says no probe into Sabarimala `Makara Jyothi`
Kochi: Kerala Government on Thursday informed the state high court that it does not propose to conduct any kind of probe into the controversy relating to `Makara Jyothi` and `Makara Vilakku` in the backdrop of the Jan 14 Sabarimala
tragedy which claimed 102 lives.
The submission in this regard was made by Government Pleader before the division bench comprising justice Thothathil B Radhakrishnan and justice PS Gopinath when 3 petitions, including that by Rationalists association came up before the bench.
The GP said the chief minister has already stated that the government does not want to hold any probe in this regard.
He pointed at media reports quoting Kerala Chief Minister VS Achuthanandan, stating that the Government was not going to probe whether it was a divine phenomenon or man-lit exercise as the whole issue was a matter of faith for millions.
The bench had earlier wanted to know if `Makara Jyothi` was man made and the difference between `Makara Jyothi` and `Makara Vilakku`.
Meanwhile, since the matter was of public interest, the devaswom bench posted the three petitions before the Chief Justice J Chelameswar, for further hearing.
While Sreekumar, a former Melsanthi (Priest) wanted a judicial probe into the tragedy, another did not want a probe. The Rationalist association did not want government machinery to be involved in the lighting of `Makara Vilakku`.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you