Kerala govt to support Kochi biennale
Thiruvananthapuram: Despite ordering a probe into the use of state funds by organisers of the Kochi-Muziris Biennale, Kerala government on Wednesday made it clear that it would extend all support to the international painting and cultural extravaganza scheduled to start next week.
"We will give all support other than monetary assistance to the event," Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said in reply to queries during his weekly Cabinet briefing here.
Chandy, however, discounted the possibility of his presence at the inaugural of the biennale at Kochi on December 12 as he would be preoccupied with the sitting of the state assembly on the day.
The government had last week ordered the probe based on the findings of the inspection wing of the Finance Department which had come across irregularities in handling of funds provided for the event by the previous LDF Government.
The Finance Department probe had found that the Culture Department, under the previous LDF government, had provided Rs five crore to the biennale without insisting that the organisers follow the government norms and conditions normally attached to similar grants.
The Kochi-Muziris biennale, touted as one of India`s biggest international painting and art exhibition, ran into trouble when a group of artists approached the government alleging that the event had been hijacked and monopolised by a handful of artists to secure their narrow interests.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price