Kerala HC comes down on political parties
Kochi: Kerala High Court on Wednesday came down on political parties for not taking effective steps to protect the interest of the landless.
Justice S Sirijagan said, "When political parties do not do what they have to do for giving justice to people, by initiating amendment to legislation which are against the interest of people, when they were in a position to do the same and start agitations against the government when they are out of power amounts to hypocrisy and double talk."
"The same amounts to mocking the intelligence of people of the state", the judge said.
Though the judge did not mention any political party, he was apparently referring to the recent land rights campaign by CPI(M) asking the Congress led UDF government to take immediate steps to takeover excess land and distribute to landless in the state.
Likewise if the government in power does not take action to repeal a law which promotes violation of law, that also could amount to `mockery` of law abiding citizens of the state, the judge observed.
The observations were made while interpreting sect 7 (3) of Kerala Land Reforms Act on a petition filed by K Sreedharan seeking benefit of the amended provision.
The court said the provision will help those persons who violated law by holding on excess land despite ceiling provisions.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price