Kerala HC extends stay in Thettayil case
Kochi: Kerala High Court Tuesday extended the stay granted to former Minister Jose Thettayil, embroiled in a sexual harassment case, by another 10 days.
The order was issued by Justice P Bhavadasan, when the petition by Thettayil, the JDS MLA from Angamally, seeking quashing of the FIR against him, came up before the Court.
The court had on July 9 stayed all further proceedings against the former LDF Minister.
Thettayil, who was Transport Minister in the previous LDF government, is the first accused in the case while his son Adarsh is the second accused.
Aluva Police had on June 22 registered cases against the two for sexual harassment following a complaint from a 30-year-old woman that she had been sexually harassed by father and son.
Meanwhile, the woman informed the high court that her complaint was not politically motivated and sought the vacation of the stay.
The state government submitted that investigation of the case has been steadily progressing and it clearly discloses an offence punishable under sec 354 (outraging the modesty of woman), sec 376 (Rape) and hence the FIR may not be quashed at threshold.
It is unfettered power of police to investigate into the cognisable offence, during the course of which if it is hampered it will cause serious prejudice, the government submitted.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 pre-registrations begins from today
- Kashmir unrest: J&K delegation meets PM Modi; seeks immediate ban on pellet gun
- Cow vigilantism? Man heckled in Mumbai on suspicion of carrying bag made of cowhide
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Delhi court pronounces death for two convicts, life in jail for third
- Joint Admission Board forms panel to suggest ways to boost number of women in IITs