Kerala HC orders arrest of ship involved in collision with boat
Kochi: Kerala High Court on Tuesday ordered arrest of bulk carrier MV Miletus, involved in a collision with a fishing vessel off Kochi-Alapuzha coast early this month and is presently anchored at Bhavnagar in Gujarat, by invoking its Admiralty Jurisdiction.
The order was issued by Justice B Kemal Pasha on a petition by the Jagesh of Kollam, owner of the fishing boat, F B Kairali, seeking compensation of Rs 30 lakh alleging that the boat was completely damaged in the June 2 incident.
There were nine fishermen on board of the boat, but none of them were injured.
The incident took place 10 nautical miles off Alapuzha-Kochi coast when the the ship, with the flag of Marshal Islands, was carrying cargo for Bhavnagar.
The court directed the Director General of Shipping, Mumbai, Coast Guard and port authorities to effect the arrest of the vessel immediately.
The bulk carrier crew informed the coast guard, which intercepted the vessel, that the boat had sustained some damage but there was no casualty.
Captain of the bulk carrier, Sajan K Leon, an Indian, admitted to coast guard that the mishap occurred when the ship`s anchor `rubbed off` the fishing boat. The incident had been recorded in their log book also.
The master had also informed about the accident to the owners.
Coastguard had further forwarded owner details to Coastal police at Neendakara for further action, a coast guard press release said today.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family