Kerala HC stays Islamic financial institution proposal
Kochi: The Kerala High Court on Tuesday stayed the
state government`s proposal to start an Islamic Financial
Institution on the lines of Islamic Bank.
"The Government shall not commence operation of the
proposed institution," a division bench comprising Chief
Justice S R Bannurmath and Justice Thottathil B Radhakrishnan
said while hearing a petition filed by Janata Party leader Dr
According to the petitioner, the government in its
October 14 order, had accorded sanction for registration of
Islamic Finance serving company by Kerala State Industrial
Development Corporation (KSIDC) to provide financial services
in accordance with Shariah law.
Under the proposal, KSIDC would contribute about 11 per
cent equity and the corporation was taking steps to promoting
Islamic financial institution. The proposed institution will
not collect or charge interest for financing, the petitioner
According to Swamy, the CEO of the proposed company has
to report to the Shariah Advisory board.
After hearing Swamy, the bench observed that the matter
has to be looked into and the parties concerned have to be
The Bench admitted the petition and issued notices to the
state government and KSIDC.
It also gave a direction to implead the Union Government
and RBI as respondents in the case.
KSIDC informed the court that the company has already
been registered and that it would function as per the
Companies Act and RBI regulations.
The petitioner stated that such an institution, utilising
government funds, was against the secular principles as
enshrined in the Constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked