Kerala HC turns down Achuthanandan`s plea
Kochi: The Kerala High Court on Wednesday rejected veteran CPI-M leader VS Achuthanandan`s request for a copy of the final report of the Special Investigation Team constituted by the state government to probe into fresh allegations against minister P K Kunhalikutty in the ice cream parlour sex racket case.
Achuthanandan was not entitled to the report from the High Court, a division bench comprising acting Chief Justice Manjula Chellur and Justice V Chidambaresh ruled turning down his plea.
According to High Court rules, the copy of the report need not be given to the petitioner. However, he can approach the jurisdictional magistrate court after the final report is laid (before it), the court observed.
The High Court on March 27 reserved orders on Achuthanandan`s petition.
The report, submitted in a sealed cover in January, will not form of part of records of the writ petition, the bench held.
The court had earlier stated that a copy of the SIT report can be made available on application.
The previous LDF government led by Achuthanandan had ordered the SIT probe following fresh allegations made by made by K A Rauf, an estranged relative of Kunhalikutty, who alleged that the minister had allegedly destroyed evidence and used money to influence witnesses and fabricate evidence in the case in 2006.
The case, which surfaced during the late 1990s, relates to allegations that an ice cream parlour in Kozhikode was used to lure young women into prostitution. There were allegations about Kunhalikutty`s involvement in the case, but he did not figure as accused in the case.
Kunhalikutty, who was a minister in the previous UDF government, had to quit in 2004 following the allegations.
Later, as relation soured between Rauf and Kunhalikutty, the former made fresh allegations against him, following which the previous LDF government ordered the SIT probe.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’