Kerala in Catch-22 situation over bar timings
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala government and the state`s excise department are in a Catch-22 situation after the Kerala High Court asked the government on Monday to file its views on prohibiting foreign liquor in bars and hotels before 5 pm by Sep 10.
Speaking to a news agency, a top excise official said this is going to be a tough ask as it involves numerous stakeholders.
The official said a committee will be formed to decide the government`s stand on the high court directive.
"If the aim is to bring down liquor consumption, then it`s just not 708 bar and hotels alone. There are 383 government-owned outlets that sell liquor," said the official, who did not wish to be identified.
"If a change in timings as suggested by the court is undertaken, then there are numerous issues. These include labour. Also, every bar has to pay an annual licence fee of Rs 22 lakh. If the timings are changed, then the bars will seek a reduction in the fee," added the official.
Last Tuesday, a division bench of Justices CN Ramachandran Nair and CK Abdul Rehim imposed a restriction on bar timings in corporation and municipal areas. The court was hearing an appeal filed by the government against a single bench`s order quashing different timings imposed on bar-restaurants.
Bar timings in corporation and municipal areas in the state are 9 am to midnight. In villages, such bar hotels open at 8 am and close at 11 pm.
The Kerala government earns maximum revenue from taxes through sale of liquor.
According to the Kerala State Beverages Corporation, the sole wholesalers of liquor and beer in the state, sales in the last fiscal crossed Rs 7,000 crore. Revenue to the state government by way of taxes crossed Rs 6,000 crore.
"Kerala competes in tourism with Goa and Sri Lanka and despite our state being more expensive than these two, we still get tourists. If bar timings are imposed here, it will be a death knell for the tourism industry here," said a leading resort owner in Kovalam.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- Huge blow for Arvind Kejriwal ahead of MCD elections, AAP MLA Ved Prakash joins BJP