Kerala: IUML strongman Kunhalikutty returns to centre stage
Thiruvanathapuram: For 60-year-old P K Kunhalikutty who was embroiled in an infamous sex scandal, his
induction in the UDF ministry in Kerala marks a return to the
centre stage as only a few months back there was a question
mark over his political survival.
Despite the LDF harping on the `Ice cream parlour sex scandal` in the runup to the Assembly polls, Kunhalikutty led
the Indian Union Muslim League (IUML), a partner in the
Congress-led UDF, to a spectacular victory bagging 20 of the
24 seats it contested.
The IUML leader himself won by a margin of over 30,000
votes from Vengara in the Muslim heartland of Malappuram. He
is tipped to get the Industries portfolio, which he held in
1991-96 and 2001-05 ministries.
Kunhalikutty, who entered politics through IUML`s student
wing Muslim Students Federation (MSF), was elected to the
Kerala Assembly in 1982, 1987, 1991 and 2001.
He quit as Industries Minister from the Congress-led UDF
government in 2005 after coming under a cloud of allegations
in connection with the sex scandal.
Though Kunhalikutty never figured as an accused in the
case, opposition parties had alleged that he was involved in
The scam returned to haunt him again after one of his
relative confessed his role in bribing girls to keep
Kunhalikutty`s name out of their testimony in the case.
Seizing on it, former Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan
ordered a fresh investigation in the case.
The resurfacing of the scandal few months before the
Assembly polls was used as a weapon against the IUML leader by
LDF during electioneering, but Kunhalikutty came out as the
winner in the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues