Kerala: LDF demands resignation of Kurien
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI-M led LDF Opposition in Kerala Tuesday demanded the resignation of Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairperson PJ Kurien for his alleged involvement in the Suryanelli gang-rape case.
The LDF state liaison committee meeting here also asked the Congress leadership to remove him from the post if he did not quit in the wake of the victim sticking to her stand that Kurien was one among those molested her in 1996.
"Kurien has not faced trial in any court in the case and has retrieved himself using a certain `technical` route from the Supreme Court," LDF Convener Vaikom Viswam told reporters after the meet.
That too has now become invalid with the apex court`s recent order quashing the Kerala High Court order acquitting 35 persons in the case and ordering a retrial within six months, he said.
"Let Kurien face trial and prove his innocence in any court," Viswam said, charging Congress-led UDF government with protecting Kurien.
LDF also criticised Congress MP K Sudhakaran for his sweeping remarks on the victim and also that of Justice Basant and demanded that government initiate cases against them.
Justice Basanth was part of the two-member bench which acquitted the accused in the case in 2005.
In a resolution, LDF asked the people to come forward to protect the dignity of women and also fight the "wrong approach" of the UDF government on women`s issues.
The case relates to a girl from Suryanelli in Idukki district of Kerala being abducted in January 1996 and transported to various places and sexually exploited by different persons.
Kurien`s name figured again in connection with the case recently after the victim wrote to her advocate to explore the possibility of filing a review plea in the Supreme Court, seeking a fresh probe against him. Kurien has maintained he has been cleared of the charges by the apex court.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened