Kerala: LDF demands resignation of Kurien
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI-M led LDF Opposition in Kerala Tuesday demanded the resignation of Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairperson PJ Kurien for his alleged involvement in the Suryanelli gang-rape case.
The LDF state liaison committee meeting here also asked the Congress leadership to remove him from the post if he did not quit in the wake of the victim sticking to her stand that Kurien was one among those molested her in 1996.
"Kurien has not faced trial in any court in the case and has retrieved himself using a certain `technical` route from the Supreme Court," LDF Convener Vaikom Viswam told reporters after the meet.
That too has now become invalid with the apex court`s recent order quashing the Kerala High Court order acquitting 35 persons in the case and ordering a retrial within six months, he said.
"Let Kurien face trial and prove his innocence in any court," Viswam said, charging Congress-led UDF government with protecting Kurien.
LDF also criticised Congress MP K Sudhakaran for his sweeping remarks on the victim and also that of Justice Basant and demanded that government initiate cases against them.
Justice Basanth was part of the two-member bench which acquitted the accused in the case in 2005.
In a resolution, LDF asked the people to come forward to protect the dignity of women and also fight the "wrong approach" of the UDF government on women`s issues.
The case relates to a girl from Suryanelli in Idukki district of Kerala being abducted in January 1996 and transported to various places and sexually exploited by different persons.
Kurien`s name figured again in connection with the case recently after the victim wrote to her advocate to explore the possibility of filing a review plea in the Supreme Court, seeking a fresh probe against him. Kurien has maintained he has been cleared of the charges by the apex court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly