Kerala: LDF demands resignation of Kurien
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI-M led LDF Opposition in Kerala Tuesday demanded the resignation of Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairperson PJ Kurien for his alleged involvement in the Suryanelli gang-rape case.
The LDF state liaison committee meeting here also asked the Congress leadership to remove him from the post if he did not quit in the wake of the victim sticking to her stand that Kurien was one among those molested her in 1996.
"Kurien has not faced trial in any court in the case and has retrieved himself using a certain `technical` route from the Supreme Court," LDF Convener Vaikom Viswam told reporters after the meet.
That too has now become invalid with the apex court`s recent order quashing the Kerala High Court order acquitting 35 persons in the case and ordering a retrial within six months, he said.
"Let Kurien face trial and prove his innocence in any court," Viswam said, charging Congress-led UDF government with protecting Kurien.
LDF also criticised Congress MP K Sudhakaran for his sweeping remarks on the victim and also that of Justice Basant and demanded that government initiate cases against them.
Justice Basanth was part of the two-member bench which acquitted the accused in the case in 2005.
In a resolution, LDF asked the people to come forward to protect the dignity of women and also fight the "wrong approach" of the UDF government on women`s issues.
The case relates to a girl from Suryanelli in Idukki district of Kerala being abducted in January 1996 and transported to various places and sexually exploited by different persons.
Kurien`s name figured again in connection with the case recently after the victim wrote to her advocate to explore the possibility of filing a review plea in the Supreme Court, seeking a fresh probe against him. Kurien has maintained he has been cleared of the charges by the apex court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands